When choosing a college or university, cost is definitely a factor, whether you are studying online or in a traditional setting. There are many wonderful, accredited online schools from which to choose, but these are the ten that offer the lowest overall cost. All of the schools on the list are regionally accredited, though they offer different types of online programs. As such, it is important not to look at cost alone, but to consider it as one factor in your decision-making.
- Western Governors University – WGU may well provide the least expensive online degree available. The tuition is $2890 for a six-month term, regardless of credit hours taken. If you take a full load each semester, say 18 credit hours, you will pay only $160 for each credit. That’s quite a deal for an accredited college degree.
- Thomas Edison State College – Thomas Edison State College has a low tuition rate of $5,322 a year for New Jersey residents, and $7,837 a year for those out of state. This fantastic school allows students the opportunity to test out of 100% of classes and also recognizes 100% of a student’s transfer credits. To make it even better, Thomas Edison offers a tremendous variety of online degree programs, offering something for everyone.
- Walden University – Walden is one of the best-known names in online education. The school is one of the pioneers of distance education and offers a highly affordable tuition of $280 for each quarter credit hour. This, combined with its wide range of programs has made it a favorite of many online students.
- Southern New Hampshire University – At only $320 per credit hour, SNHU provides a fantastic value to students. SNHU has been the recipient of numerous awards for affordability, innovation, and the quality of its degree programs.
- American Intercontinental University – AIU considers itself to be the ideal school for serious students. That makes sense, since the school is completely serious about offering flexibility and affordability to those who choose it. For $302 per credit hour, you can choose a wide variety of degrees including those in IT, fine arts, and business.
- Colorado Technical University – CTU has a low tuition rate of only $305 per credit hour as well as a wide range of degree programs, including one that takes nurses from an associate’s degree to a bachelor’s degree. The degree offerings, low tuition, and outstanding instruction make this a great choice for many.
- Capella University – Capella is another well-known leader in online learning. Its $290 per credit hour undergrad and $350 per credit hour graduate tuition rates are more than reasonable, especially considering the number of awards and recognitions the school has received over the years for its quality.
- Liberty University – Liberty is one of the few Christian online universities and is also amazingly affordable. Students can enjoy a high-quality, faith-based education for as little as $325 per credit hour.
- University of Massachusetts – At the low rate of $350-$400 per credit hour, Umass offers a large number of high quality degree programs. If you are looking for an affordable online degree from a school that is well known and widely respected, this should be one of your top choices.
- Ashford University – Ashford offers one of the largest selections of degree programs of any online school. In addition, it offers a high quality of education and very affordable tuition of only $402 for each credit hour.
Studying online does not mean you have to settle for less than the highest quality or that you have to pay an arm and a leg. Check out these extremely affordable online schools for the degree you want at a price that will feel right.