Astronomy is a category of science that studies celestial spheres and phenomena, including, but not limited to, planets, stars, comets, asteroids, galaxies, cosmic radiation and more. It allows mankind to develop an understanding of cosmos as well as the formation and evolution of the galaxies. Astronomy has been practiced by ancient civilizations but it did not become one of the major sciences until the invention of the telescope. Today, professional astronomy is divided into two different branches; theoretical and observational astronomy. Best Online Colleges has compiled a nice list of online resources from basic to advanced astronomy.
- What is Astronomy?: An overview of the science of astronomy.
- Astronomy Basics: General introduction to astronomy.
- Introduction to Astronomy: A web page that is dedicated to understanding the nature of existence and humanity’s place in the cosmos.
- Astronomy Images: Galleries of astronomy pictures.
- Astronomy Resources: Resource page with list of astronomy-related links.
- Amazing Space: Lots of mind-blowing astronomy facts and images.
- History of Astronomy: Learn about the evolution of astronomy from ancient times to the present.
- Astronomy Timeline: A timeline that provides an account on the development of astronomy over the years.
- Ancient Astronomy: Resource that offers an insight into the practice of astronomy during ancient times.
- Modern Astronomy History: Overview of the history of modern astronomy.
- Famous Astronomers: List of some of the most important astronomers in history.
- The Scientific Revolution: An English department paper that outlines the scientific revolution that resulted from discoveries made by astronomers.
- Galileo and the Scientific Revolution: Lecture on how Galileo contributed to the scientific revolution.
- Astronomy Historical Background: Web page that discusses the development of important concepts of astronomy in history.
- Astronomy and Scientific Revolution: Links to resources on astronomy and the scientific revolution.
- Stargazing Basics: Learn the basics of stargazing from this online magazine of Astronomy.
- Observational Astronomy Methods: Descriptions of methods that are used to observe objects and phenomena in the outer space.
- Observational Astronomy Links: A resource page that links to a wide variety of information about observational astronomy.
- What is Radio Astronomy?: Web page that provides a comprehensive explanation of the basics of radio astronomy.
- Radio Astronomy Basics: A webpage ran by NASA that contains information about radio astronomy. Offers downloadable pdf.
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory: A National Science Foundation facility that conducts research on the invisible universe.
- Radio Astronomy Links: Links to radio astronomy-related websites.
- Introduction to Infrared Astronomy: Article that explains the science of infrared astronomy.
- Understanding Infrared Astronomy: Find out how infrared astronomy works.
- All about Infrared Astronomy: Learn all the basics of infrared astronomy from this web page.
- National Optical Astronomy Observatory: Official website of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory.
- Optical Astronomy Sites: A list of websites that offer information on optical astronomy.
- What is Ultraviolet Astronomy?: Definition of ultraviolet astronomy.
- Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer: Web page dedicated to NASA’s Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer.
- Future of Ultraviolet Astronomy: Discover the possibilities of ultraviolet astronomy in the future.
- What is X-Ray Astronomy?: A comprehensive introduction to x-ray astronomy.
- X-Ray Astronomy Field Guide: Collection of articles that reveal interesting facts about x-ray astronomy.
- Application of X-Ray Astronomy: The importance of x-ray technology in the study of the outer space.
- Gamma-Ray Astronomy: Basic information on gamma-ray astronomy.
- Gamma-Ray Astronomy History: A brief historical account of the science of gamma-ray astronomy.
- High Energy Gamma-Ray Astronomy: An article that explores the occurrences of high energy gamma-rays in outer space.
Astrometry and Celestial Mechanics
- Astrometry Overview: Article that provides a clear explanation of astrometry.
- Celestial Mechanics: Extensive information about celestial mechanics.
- Astrometry Links: A selection of astrometry-related websites.
- Guide to Theoretical Astronomy: Recommended resources for those who wish to learn theoretical astronomy.
Subfields of Astronomy
- Types of Astronomy: Descriptions of the different types of astronomy.