Chemistry is a the branch of science that consists of the composition, structure and chemical reactions of a substance or body. Chemistry is such an important field of study that ancient Egyptians were using “wet” chemistry over 4,000 years ago. Chemistry is now taught as early as middle school up to college classes. The method of teaching is based upon the education level being taught. Teachers must use different techniques and resources to keep students interested and involved. Updating resources brings fresh ideas to the classroom and strengthens the class’s knowledge as a whole. Best Online College has put together a resource list that provides you with everything you need in order to keep your classes engaged.
History of Chemistry
- History of Chemistry: Chronological history of chemistry from prehistoric times to the present.
- Scientist and Experiments: A concise and organized list of scientists and experiments involving the history of chemistry.
- The Story of Chemistry: The Chemical Heritage Foundation adds an interesting spin on the history of chemistry.
Courses and Curriculum Material
- Chemical Education: Berkeley University focuses on the learning and instruction of chemical education.
- Chemistry 12: This is a great resource for teaching high school chemistry.
- Science Curriculum: A Chemistry lesson for middle school-aged students promoting the discovery of cohesion, adhesion and surface tension.
Demonstrations and Experiments
- Home Experiments: Fun and safe experiments than can be done at home.
- Matter and Mixtures: Watch as a beaker filled with clear liquid changes blue with just a shake.
- High-Temp Superconductor Lab Experiment: Detailed instructions on performing an experiment on preparation and construction.
- Acid Base Chemistry: Instructions for an Acid Based experiment.
Graphics and Visualizations
- Chemical Reaction and Molecules: Diagrams of molecules and chemical equations.
- Three Dimensional Visualization: 3D graphics of sediment chemistry.
- Biochemistry: Images of adipose tissue color.
- Periodic Table of Comic Books: Nothing dull about this periodic table. Just click on an element and see a comic book page relevant to that element.
- Periodic Table: A basic periodic table with clickable descriptions for each element.
- Periodic Table of Elements: A periodic table resource for students.
Safety and Environment
- School Safety: The 2011 guide for lab safety for chemistry classes.
- General Safety: Instructions for safety of chemistry lab sessions.
- Introduction to Lab Safety: The American Chemical Society’s guide to safety for introductory students.
Textbooks and Publishers
- Chem1: A reference text for general Chemistry.
- Organic Chemistry: Organic chemistry virtual textbooks in alphabetical order with practice problems.
- Chemical Education Book Publishers: A list of chemistry textbook publishers with contact information.
- General Chemistry: General chemistry terms defined alphabetically or by topic.
- Atmospheric: Glossary of Atmospheric chemistry terms.
Newsgroups and Mailing Lists
- Mail Lists: A list of 44 different disciplines of chemistry mailing lists.
- Crystallography Journals: View popular articles of this online journal by the International Union of Crystallography.
- The Journal of Organic Chemistry: View current issues and past publications.
Curiosities Related to Chemistry
- Curiosities of Antimatter: An honors chemistry project exploring the curiosities of antimatter.