If you are getting your college degree online, there are a few things that you really need to make your life much easier. Although none of these are necessarily required, they will save you so much time and trouble that you will wish you had them. To get the most from your online degree program, make sure you have these lifesaving resources at your disposal:
- Noise canceling headphones – Since you will be studying from home or other locations where there are distractions, noise-canceling headphones can be a real life saver. They will block out all distracting noises and allow your brain to focus completely on your class work, letting you get more done in a shorter time period.
- Wireless Internet Card – Instead of searching for a place with free wi-fi, get a wireless Internet card to keep with you everywhere. This will allow you to do your work from any location, at any time that you can spare a few minutes.
- Privacy Shield – Since you will be doing a lot of work on the go and in public locations, a privacy shield is a good idea to keep nosy people from reading over your shoulder. It can also help protect your passwords and other sensitive information.
- Video Chat – A program like Skype can make it much easier to communicate with your instructor and classmates.
- Calendar and organizer – Online learning depends largely on the time management and organizational skills of the student. Keep everything in a planner or calendar so you won’t forget important due dates. For even more convenience, use a digital planner or scheduler on your smartphone.
- Mini flash drive – Keep your work in progress on a mini flash drive so you will have it available for work on any computer at any time. You never know when you will have a chance to get some work done.
- Websites – Bookmark some of the more useful websites for easy reference. EasyBib is a great one, as it automatically formats citations for you. Purplemath can help you with those tricky equations, and Purdue’s Online Writing Lab can help you ace those research papers. Find the sites you need for your particular classes and keep them within easy reach.